Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I have a 9-month havapoo. She was very sweet, but very

Customer Question

I have a 9-month havapoo. She was very sweet, but very naughty. Suddenly she has become a little aggressive. She has been groomed several times but today she tried several times to bite the groomer, and has tried to bite me previously too. My husband passed away 2 months ago and, of, course, there was a lot of chaos around her for a couple of weeks. She hasn't been the same since. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. Scolding won't do any good, but you do have to assert yourself as the dominant in the relationship. Often, these dogs want to assume that role, and many owners let them. After a while, it becomes difficult to break the behavior. She has to learn her sit and stay commands and understand that you are the one who provides the things she enjoys. This would include food and treats. Making her sit and wait for feeding and treats makes her understand that you are in control. There are many other techniques and training regimens you can go through with her. I would highly, highly recommend getting her into obedience classes ASAP. Working one on one with a dog trainer is really the only way to get a handle on this. Better yet, having your vet refer her to an animal behavior specialist (a veterinarian with more extensive training) would be ideal, but they are not easy to find in some areas and can be expensive. A certified dog trainer may be the way to do initially. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.