Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My St Bernard has had a litter of pups around 6 weeks ago :

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: My bitch St Bernard has had a litter of pups around 6 weeks ago
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: Ive wormed her at the 4 weeks with the pups since then she has lost so much weight and now losing hair we are really worried
JA: There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: But she hasn't been out only in our own garden
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Are the puppies still nursing?

What diet is she on?

How old is she?

Is she scratching a lot?

Where exactly is the hair loss?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the pups are still nursing
Tin meat and dry mixed
Also raws
Not to sure think she's 2 and a half
No she's not scratching a lot the hair loss is mainly on her right leg also underneath body
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for the information. Sorry about the wait. I had to step into surgery for a minute. I would probably get the pups off the nursing and put her on a dry puppy diet. The puppies are most likely sucking more nutrition out of her than she is taking in. Malnutrition can also lead to hair loss. The stress of pregnancy and nursing though can cause Demodectic mange, which is a skin mite infection that can take over if the immune system is depressed. Normally not a problem in otherwise healthy adult dogs, but her system is being stressed. I would have your vet do a skin scraping in the area to rule out mange (you will not see any problems on the puppies at this young age, and it would have been transferred by nursing anyway). A skin infection can also be a result of the stress on her body, but you would probably see some red bumps or scabbed/scaly lesions. I cannot rule out potential fleas, but I would expect her to be scratching more. She most likely just needed added nutrition and to stop nursing. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.