Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My is now 49 days pregnant, and had a clear liquid yesterday

Customer Question

my bitch is now 49 days pregnant, and had a clear liquid yesterday coming out of her vulva and now shes just had a white stringy thing coming away what does this mean ?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: im just worried that this is her mucous plug and shell lose the puppies x
JA: Where does the puppy seem to hurt?
Customer: no its my pregnant dog, shes got white stringy stuff coming away from her vulva but shes only 48 days pregnant
JA: We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Most likely a normal pregnancy. The clear liquid and white stringy thing represent cervical/vaginal mucus being excreted in preparation for parturition - not her cervical plug. It's not unusual at this time nor is spotting of blood. I become concerned when a black, green, or red discharge is present during stage 2 labor (active contractions) before any pups are born. That would indicate placental separation and fetal distress or a pup is lodged in the birth canal.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.