Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

The area (cartilage) around the tarsal bones in s nd leg is

Customer Question

the area (cartilage) around the tarsal bones in his hind leg is flimsy. he won't put weight on it and when he hold is leg up it just dangles.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: there was a wound but it has since healed
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bandit and 2 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bandit?
Customer: no, other than he has the collie breed in his bloodline and cannot have certain types of wormers
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Bandit will need a hands-on examination of his tarsal area in order to clarify the type of injury likely to have occurred at the same time he was wounded. The tarsus is subject to ligament damage, luxation/subluxation (dislocations) of individual tarsal bones, and fractures. Collies are predisposed to superficial digital flexor tendon luxation which is treated by suturing torn retinacular tissues. In general, surgical intervention should be expected when a dog presents as Bandit. Referral to a specialist veterinary surgeon (please see here: is likely.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.