Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My dog woke me up dry heaving about 40 minutes ago. I've

Customer Question

My dog woke me up dry heaving about 40 minutes ago. I've been a tech and I've done some acupressure on him and he's still uncomfortable. No distended stomach.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Colbert and he's 10. He's 3 weeks post op with a sebaceous cyst and tooth extraction. He developed bilat ear infections due to the cone.
JA: There are all sorts of infestations Colbert can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Colbert?
Customer: I'm a dog care provider so the dogs are out in the field everyday. He UPD on shots/preventative care. He has acted normally all day. Had his heartworm pill today and I just gave him his ear flush before we went to bed at 12. The dry heaving started at 1 and he usually has a gurgling stomach normally. But this is the first time I've seen dry heaves.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Do you think he is coughing to the point of retching? Or heaving as if to vomit?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I took him to the emergency clinic with suspected bloat. Which it is. He's in surgery. How do I make sure I'm not charged for a monthly service I don't want? I put card number in and it brought up selecting a monthly plan which I didn't. This is a hassle I don't need right now.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I shall send your request to customer service, so no worries there.

Best wishes for your lad,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks he's been a "schooling dog" for 10yrs helping teach a ton of folks dog handling skills similar to riding lessons. Hopefully I caught it in time. I've just ever seen dogs in later stages of gdv not as it first starts though and normalcy bias wants things 2 resolve and b OK so I was looking it up for confirmation of what I suspected.