Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

Licked off my hydrocortisone cream : Ollie 7 months old :

Customer Question

Licked off my hydrocortisone cream
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ollie 7 months old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ollie?
Customer: He's 18 pounds
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned because Ollie licked hydrocortisone cream off your skin. I have some questions for you about this to determine how worried we need to be.

1. Was this a prescription hydrocortisone cream or the usual over the counter cream 1% hydrocortisone cream?
  2. Was this a one time occurrence or has he done this several times?
  3. Is he otherwise healthy?
  4. How long ago did this occur?
  5. How is he feeling now? Any lip smacking or drooling?
  6. Is he seemingly drinking more water than usual?
  7. Is he taking any medications? If so what are they and at what dose?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He is on no meds
He is in his crate and asleep as we speak, he does not have any water bowl in his crate but is not drooling or lip smacking
My cream was 1 per cent hydrocortisone cream , over the counter
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He is on last 3 days of doxycycline for exposure to Lyme disease via confirmed tick bite

Thanks very much those answers are very helpful. Give me a few minutes to type up a response.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This occurred about 45 min ago

1% Hydrocortisone is a pretty low concentration and if this is a one time thing then he likely didn't ingest that much.

Hydrocortisone is also a short acting steroid, so that means any effects that we do see will be short lived.

Possible side effects may be increased water consumption and subsequently increased urination. He may have a better than usual appetite too. But that doesn't mean he needs to eat more.

The cream or petroleum base in this cream, and sometimes steroids (although not usually at a low dose), can cause mild stomach upset (thus my question about drooling or lip smacking). Doxycycline can also upset the stomach too, so he may be more likely to get a little nauseous. Sometimes we also see slightly loose stools from the lubricant effect of an ointment or cream. But that should be self limiting. If that happens feed him a bland diet for a few days and he should come along.

A homemade bland diet consists of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) and 2/3 boiled white rice. Give small meals several times a day. Feed the bland diet for several days, then once his stools normalize start mixing in his regular diet and slowly convert him back.

High doses of steroids or repeated exposure can be immunosuppressive, which of course would be of concern in a dog with Lyme disease. But a one time low exposure isn't likely to be a big deal.

Sometimes we see increased panting with steroids, but I would not expect that at this dose.

Odds are he will remain perfectly fine with a one time low dose. We just need to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Hi Renee,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara