PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I EXPRESSED S ANAL GLANDS AND BLOOD WAS COMING OUT WITH THE

Customer Question

I EXPRESSED HIS ANAL GLANDS AND BLOOD WAS COMING OUT WITH THE REGULAR STUFF AND I AM CONCERNED.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: HIS ANAL SACK WAS BLEEDING WHEN I EMPTIED THEM.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: NO HE IS 15 YEARS OLD IN REAL YEARS
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) How often are his glands expressed?
2) What breed is he?
3) Any pain during expression?
4) Is he eating, drinking, urinating and defecating normally?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
LAST TIME WAS ABOUT 5 MONTHS AGO THE VET DID IT.
HE IS A DASCHUND
HE TURNED HIS HEAD
YES TO ALL

The blood that you witnessed in the anal gland material can be a sign of an infection within the gland themselves. Often the glands need to be expressed more frequently (in smaller dogs every 6-12 weeks) and they may have also been or may be impacted.

I would go ahead and schedule an exam with your veterinarian to have him check these glands to be sure all is well. Often, a round of antibiotics are needed and your vet may also want to sedate him and pack the glands to prevent further problems.

More info here: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2090&aid=510

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.