Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

He is wobbly when standing still and when he was he appears

Customer Question

He is wobbly when standing still and when he was he appears to be off balance
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: He is a Maltese there is no votimiting or diarrhea
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He is not in pain
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Buddy and he is 3 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buddy?
Customer: No everything else seems to be fine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. You may be looking at vestibular disease which happens when the inner ear does not communicate to the brain. This usually coincides with an inner ear problem such as a ear infection or ruptured ear drum. Sometimes it is idiopathic , meaning no known cause and this is usually seen in older dogs.

If it is an inner ear problem you want your Vet to check that so the approriate meds can be given. Ear infections would have an underlying cause of Bacterial, fungal or yeast so the proper meds are essential.

Here is more on Vestibular disease http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/brain-spinal-cord-nerves/vestibular-disease-in-dogs

This breed is also prone to hypoglycemia, and heart disease which can show the same symptoms so you want to be sure it it not one of these either.