Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our Dachshund ate 10 laxitives : Bella is 2 years old, she

Customer Question

Our Dachshund ate 10 laxitives
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dachshund will be able to digest that. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: Bella is 2 years old, she is a mix Dachsund Terrier
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: No we adopted her from a rescue shelter 3 month ago she is up to date on everything
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What type of Laxative was it she had?

How long ago?

How is she just now?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
BISACODY 5 mg
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't know when she got hold of them, my husband found the chewed up sleeve this am
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
did #2 twice regular but keeps eating grass
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

Had the sleeve been full beforehand as far as you know?

Since we aren't sure when she had them, can you give me an estimate? Likely less then 2 hours, less than 8, or longer then 8 hours?

Any vomiting?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the sleeve was full , 10, no vomiting
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is there a problem?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you again,

Now the good news is that we do use this drug in dogs, so its not an outright poisoning. That said, if she has had 10, this more then a 2x overdose for her. Therefore, adverse signs are likely and I suspect already ongoing here. Specifically, we will see this cause nausea (hence her grass eating), belly cramps, increased gut motility leading to increased stool passage and diarrhea.

Now if it has been around 10 hours since she had these, we are limited in what we can do here. We will be past the point where we can induce vomiting. Though we can still try her with activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed, but also help soothe the stomach and reduce her nausea (which is ideal since we cannot use antacids with this drug aboard due to interaction).

Otherwise, we'd just need to plan to monitor and can consider offering her a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, this is a drug we use and the side effects tend to settle within 24 hours. So, at this stage we can use the above while keeping a close eye. Though if she vomits or is very uncomfortable, we can have her local vet start injectable anti- nausea medication, muscle relaxants, and IV fluids to flush this out quicker and get her settled.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet