PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dogs joint is swollen and will not go down at all. The

Customer Question

My dogs joint is swollen and will not go down at all. The swelling went down for a few days but came back
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) How old is Daisy Mae?
2) What breed of dog is she?
3) How long have you been battling this persistent swelling?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We think between 8 and 10 she is a Saint Bernard and 2 weeks it went down until she jumped off the bed and it got swollen again she's eating and drinking well

I'm afraid I may not have the best of news for you. When we see persistent swelling, especially in the front limb of a senior large or giant breed dog and at a joint, the first thing we become concerned about is a condition known as osteosarcoma. This happens when cancer at this site causes remodeling of the bone, which eventually causes a 'blown out' appearance. As time goes on, this area tends to be painful although you may not originally see pain.

Another risk is that she may have developed an abscess at this location, although I worry much more about osteosarcoma with her age, breed and the symptoms.

In any case, I would not delay in having her examined by your veterinarian and x-rays performed to see what is going on under the skin. More info here: http://wearethecure.org/learn-more-about-canince-cancer/canine-cancer-library/osteosarcoma/

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Please let me know if you have other questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
you don't think that it is a sprain?

I'm afraid not. Sprains very seldomly involve such severe swelling. Typically what we'd see is a little swelling under the skin. Hers protrudes out sideways. She is showing textbook symptoms of cancer.

Here's more info on St. Bernards and Osteosarcoma, specifically. http://saintbernardclub.org/canine-osteosarcoma/

Here's a good example of the difference between a normal limb and an osteosarcoma limb: http://www.fitzpatrickreferrals.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Distal-radial-OSA-in-a-dalmation-1140x760.jpg

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok so I guess my dogs going to die

We can expect that all dogs will eventually pass away from one condition or another. There are interventional options to keep her comfortable. Currently, she's only having swelling and no discomfort, which means it's very early on. There are lots of medications on the market such as canine-safe NSAIDs and pain medications (rimadyl, deramaxx, meloxicam, tramadol, gabapentin, amantadine, etc) that can help alleviate discomfort as it comes. Many dogs get months of comfortable life following diagnosis.

I would focus less on the potential of loss and more on the future months that you both may still have to spend together. Unfortunately, this is something that comes along with dog ownership and it's much more common in the larger and giant breed dogs. If she is 8-10 years of age, that's quite aged for a Saint. Many dogs over 100# *****'t see 8 years of age, so she's doing quite well considering her size and breed.