PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My 15 yr old bichon has glaucoma in both eyes. she is on

Customer Question

my 15 yr old bichon has glaucoma in both eyes. she is on pain medicine and eye drops
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Daisy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisy?
Customer: I am having a hard time seeing her like this I am very attached to her
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ana Bascunan replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I'm happy to help answer your questions regarding Daisy. I'm sorry to hear she has developed glaucoma in both eyes- I can understand why you're upset. Do you feel that the pain medication and eye drops are bringing her relief?

Expert:  JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r- replied 6 months ago.

Glaucoma can absolutely be a very painful condition, and I can certainly understand why you are upset if you don't feel that the pain medications are helping her. There are both topical and oral medications that can help manage the pain, but if it is not enough to help her have a good quality of life, then enucleation (surgery to remove one or both eyes) may be a viable option for her. Many dogs can do very well without being able to see, particularly if they are more comfortable that way. Just make sure your veterinarian feels that she is a safe anesthetic candidate by listening carefully to her heart and performing pre-anesthetic labwork if enucleation is the route you choose to go. Good luck to your and your Bichon!

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

JACustomer, if you need any more support regarding Daisy, please let us know. We're here to help.