Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I have a Yorkie (she is 18 yrs old) she has been vomiting

Customer Question

Hi I have a Yorkie (she is 18 yrs old) she has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the past couple weeks. I took her to the VET this past Tuesday and he said he believed it was from the Beneful dog food she has been eating. (which we found out it has been recalled) so I have been giving her plain chicken and rice that I cooked and grounded up. She still is vomiting and have diarrhea which has turned to black diarrhea a few days ago. Now she doesn't want to eat or drink she has lost so much weight she is literally skin and bones.Today her tongue has turned a dark purplish color and her vomit is dark and could possibly have blood in it. Because it is a holiday all the VET offices are closed. The closest pet hospital is 2 hours away. I will take her if I need to or should I wait and take her here locally. I just don't know what to do HELP
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Did your vet perform lab work on her? If so, what date?
2) How often is she vomiting?
3) How often is she having diarrhea?