Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog has a fractured tooth which will be pulled this week.

Customer Question

my dog has a fractured tooth which will be pulled this week. Unfortunately today is a holiday and he seems like he is in a lot of pain
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Clyde, age 3 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Clyde?
Customer: he's already seen him but just gave me the results of tests and price this last Thursday. Unfortunately I couldn't get back to him until today and it's a holiday
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Clyde. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Did the vet that diagnosed the fractured tooth send any pain medication at all: carprofen, meloxicam, tramadol? If not, the only over the counter medication you can use in dogs is aspirin, and aspirin can make him bleed more when his tooth is extracted.

How much does he weigh? Do you happen to have any tramadol on hand for people?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he's 20 lbs. Unfortunately, no
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I guess he's ok. He is also being treated for parasites in his ear. It doesn't appear to be too bothered by that. It's just that he's quiet and looks at me with sad eyes............:(
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

You could give a baby aspirin with some food. Do not give Tylenol or Advil or Aleve. How soon is the extraction?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

How is Clyde doing today? Can I help with anything else?

Was this helpful?