Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

My dog has had a slight limp on and off month. I can touch

Customer Question

My dog has had a slight limp on and off for a month. I can touch and squeeze it all over
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes, and I've moved the leg into many positions flex and bend and there is no discomfort
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He's an Australian cattle dog, 8 months old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Banjo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Banjo?
Customer: He was a rescue pup at 3 months and given the all clear health wise when I got him. We do live on the third floor and he has been climbing stairs since I got him at 3 months.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Because of Banjo's age and the fact that his bones are still maturing, there is a good chance that he is feeling "growing pains". What this means is that , as he grows, from the end of the long bones, there can be pain from a condition called Epiphysitis which will come and go as he is growing. The best thing to do is to give banjo aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs when you see this happening to get him past this. If the lameness continues after he is 9 months of age, have your vet evaluate him to be sure he does not have a congenital issue but in most cases such as Banjo's, this will resolve once the growth is done around 9 months of age.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****