Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My 13 week old rhodesian ridgeback is hacking like something

Customer Question

my 13 week old rhodesian ridgeback is hacking like something is in his throat. He's been doing it now several days.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: hi, my 13 week old rhodesian rodgeback is hacking like something is in his throat
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: he's doesn't seem to be in pain. he's es
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?
Customer: he's eating normally, doesn't seem to be in pain
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Asa
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. What you may be seeing is a reverse sneeze. This often looks like the dog is choking or gagging on something. The episodes come on suddenly and last from seconds to minutes then disappear until the next time.

However given the dogs age you do want to be sure there is nothing stuck in the throat so it is good to take a look with a flashlight.

In this video you can see what a reverse sneeze looks like