Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

My 2 year old dachshund woke yesterday morning taking very

Customer Question

My 2 year old dachshund woke yesterday morning taking very small steps with her back legs and her tail tucked up under her. She is a little wobbly on her back legs and sometimes doesn't seem to have full control of them. She is peeing, pooping, eating and drinking ( she has type 1 diabetes) like she normal my does but is acting very down and out of it. She doesn't normally like anyone touching her back legs so it's kinda hard to tell if they are hurting cause she won't let me touch them as usual. Does this sound like she injured her back or possibly something else?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would love to assist you.

Is the dog refusing to walk stairs?

Will the dog try and jump at all?

If you run your hand along her spine, does she flinch?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi JoanWe haven't really been letting her, we have stairs that lead to outside so when she goes out to potty I carry her down but she will go up and down them if I don't pick her up fast enough. She will still jump and gets excited about her food but since she's diabetic she's always excited about food regardless of her state haha.She does not flinch when I do that. It all seems to come and go in a matter of minutes, she will be happy as can be and then has her tail tucked all the way under and taking teeny tiny prancing steps with her back feet.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

What you are describing may be a spinal issue called IVDD. This is similar to a human getting a herniated or bulging disc in the spine. Your dog should be examined by a Veterinary Neurologist who can do a complete Neurological Exam. They may decide to do a CT, MRI or Myleogram to see what is happening with the discs. This is some information on IVDD (Invertbratal Disc Disease) which is a possibility:

Active dogs can twist wrong and injure the spine area and some breeds are more susceptible to this problem than others. The longer bodied short legged dogs like the Doxie or Corgie are prone to IVDD, but Spine injuries can affect any breed. The Steroid injection is the first treatment usually done with this type of problem. What is usually suggested after the initial injection, we recommend complete kennel or crate rest. If the dog has to go out, be cautious with the lift and support especially when the the dog to goes potty and get the dog back inside for more rest. This is very important to help with the reduction of swelling and to help your dog to feel better. To find out what the next steps for treatment should be, I would get an appointment and have her see a Veterinary Neurologist to see what further protocol they recommend. Steroids long term is very hard on dogs. If the dog is having pain, the Neurologist can decide what type of medications would be best to help. In many cases with IVDD, you need to monitor the urine and stool output. This type of injury can affect the ability to urinate and pass stool. To find a Veterinary Neurologist you can use this link: put Neurology and your State in the blanks and it will bring up a list to help you find a Neurologist.

For now keep her immobile in crate or small area and make sure when going in and out she is carried. No exercise until she is seen by the Vet. They will decide what medications will be appropiate for her being a diabetic.