Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

He is trembling and keeps licking s mouth : I 't know if he

Customer Question

He is trembling and keeps licking his mouth
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: I don't know if he got into some roundup that was sprayed on weeds today and he seems a little out of normal
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nixon and he is 2 and weighs 10.5 lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nixon?
Customer: Moxon is his name and he ate a comfortis that I was trying to give to my other little dog
JA: The Veterinarian will know if Name will be able to digest that. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

How long has he been doing this?

When did he get into the Round-up?

Did he get his own Comfortis as well as the other dogs?

Any vomiting or attempting to vomit today?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He has been doing this for a couple hours.
I don't know for sure that he ate the Roundup but it would have been today.
No he only ate 1 comfortis
He has not vomited that I know of
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello is any one there he just vomited
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Give me a couple minutes to type up my response....

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.

If he did get into the Roundup today, I would absolutely expect to see the vomiting that you're now seeing.

The lip licking and shaking can both be signs of nausea in dogs, and since the biggest thing we see in dogs who have ingested Round Up is digestive upset (vomiting and/or diarrhea), it sounds like he did get into it.

The good news is that this kind of digestive upset generally clears up within 24 hours...so what I'd do would be to pick up any food, and only allow him to have water in small amounts tonight. Nothing to eat though so that his stomach has a chance to relax and calm down.

Tomorrow morning, you can offer him some bland diet...boiled white rice and boiled hamburger in very small amounts for the day. If he keeps that down, then you can start to slowly reintroduce his normal diet until you're back to just his normal kibble.

If he's not feeling better by Tuesday, or if he develops any other unusual behaviors, then you should have him seen by a vet in your area. If you're not sure where one might be, you can go to: http://www.vetlocator.com and plug in your zip code. They'll point you in the direction of the one nearest to you.

I hope this helps.