PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

7 month old English shepherd. Soft tissue tear likely in

Customer Question

7 month old English shepherd. Soft tissue tear likely in shoulder 6 weeks ago. Been healing, but today can barely walk and is whining.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes. No wound. I think he reiinjured it while being rambunctious with the cat.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Zeus.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zeus?
Customer: Yes. I lost a dog to cancer a few months ago and had 50mg tramadol tablets left. I gave Zeus one today to help manage his pain. He is 50lb. That's it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Is he on any other medication aside from the tramadol that you administered?
2) How much does Zeus weigh?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He was on novox until a few days ago. Exhausted his prescription. He is about 50b. He is limping to the point of start/stop walking. Worst when he wakes & gets up.

It may be worth filling the script again as the tramadol is only going to help with discomfort and won't help at all with any inflammation caused by the reinjury. If you are not already kennel resting him, this should be considered as well. The more reinjury that happens the higher the risk is that he won't fully recover.

There is more room to move up on the tramadol. You can find dosing information here: http://www.1800petmeds.com/Tramadol-prod11064.html

If he does not make vast improvement by tomorrow, re-examination and x-rays of the shoulder would be wise to ensure a worse injury has not been sustained.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in. How is Zeus doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy