PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Joey is old and was bitten by another dog on may 11th or

Customer Question

joey is old and was bitten by another dog on may 11th or attacked I should say he has one deep puncture wound I think could be infected. He was given antibiotic and pain meds.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: no not at all
JA: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 11 year old bullmastiff
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: joey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Joey?
Customer: no just he is having trouble getting his back legs under him to get up.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Where on the body was he injured?
2) Is he on any medications for hip health/joint discomfort?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
On the hip and yes on the medd

What meds are being given currently? Please provide the name of the medication, milligram, how much and how often it's given.

How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Cosequin ds plus, rimadyl 100 mg every 12 hr. Tramadol 50 mg 4 tablets every 12 hr. He finished his antibiotic . Weight 145
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The area is slightly swollen . No pus that I can tell.

He's on appropriate medications to help him avoid discomfort with his hips. If needed, your vet can try different pain medications like gabapentin. That said, his difficulty rising may well be age-related and not something that can be treated with medication. This is fairly commonplace for senior dogs, especially giant breeds. On top of this, it doesn't sound like he's painful but just having difficulty orienting his legs. In these cases, we typically recommend that owners purchase a sling like this to help hoist them into a standing position so that they can walk to move around, go potty, etc.

Here's an example:

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it did help! And our vet did say it would come to this him not being able to get up any more it is. The attack seemed to have made it worse. Once he fell down he could not fight back. That dog no longer lives in the neighbor hood. I wish I could do more.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is the other pain med stronger?

I wouldn't say it's "stronger" but works in a different manner and is usually used in the more advanced cases of discomfort.

I expect the injury to his muscles probably has a lot to do with his inability to rise at this time. Hopefully after he's fully healed (can take 6 weeks or so), he will be able to rise again without assistance.

Please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Checking in to see how Joey is doing.

Hi Rose,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?