Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My puppy 7months ingested a calcium pill along with an adult

Customer Question

My puppy 7months ingested a calcium pill along with an adult vitamin and a b12 around 845 AM which was about 4 hours ago no signs of vomit . How concerned should we be. She weight approx 45-50 pounds
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: She's a full blooded boxer
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What is the milligrams/strength of the calcium?

What are the Vitamin D levels in the vitamin or the calcium tablet?

What are the mineral levels (zinc, iron, copper, etc)?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am getting that info now..
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Perfect, I will stand by and have a peek once you post them.

Speak to you again soon,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Vit mg
A 10,000/ C 120/ E200/K240/ B6 8 /Folic 400/ Biotin 600/ Mag 400/Zinc 15
Copper 2/ iodine 22t
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ingested
B12 1000mg as well
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Calcium pill as well
About 1 and 1/2
Has 82mg vitamin C
And 1500 mg Calcium
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Great!

Thank you for checking that.

Now generally speaking, we don't tend to see major issues in situations where they only steal a tablet of each. The Vitamin B12 is no worry since this is water soluble and means they just pass excess in their urine. As well, most of the other vitamins (E+C) are no worry or are safe as a one off (A+K). It is just those I asked about that can be problematic in large doses. Though the doses of the minerals relative to her weight are also fine. The only concern is whether there is Vitamin D in any of these. It is commonly in both to help calcium absorption, but if its not in here then we can breath a sigh of relief for your lass. (If it is, then just let me know how much she had and we can workout the possible risk from that).

Otherwise, in this case, we'd only need to monitor your lass and potentially address any GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B.