Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

A month our dog gets hyper at night, pants, whines, cannot

Customer Question

For nearly a month our dog gets hyper at night, pants, whines, cannot sit still. Got meds from vet, little help. There must be ultra sound causing. Tried pherenome, white noise. thunder coat. Nothing seems to help. Keeps me or wife up with anxiety attack. We are at a loss as to how to help this poor dog.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Willie age 8.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Willie?
Customer: Not that I can think of, suggestion?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

If Willie is suffering from something that has frieghtened him causing this anxiety, then your vet will have to prescribe serious medication such as Fluoxetine to help Willie past this. You have tried all of the normal anti anxiety medications over teh counter and since nothing works, medication is the next step.

I would also worry that Willie may be suffering from an unstable disc in his back or an aggravated arthritis that is causing him to be restless and uncomfortable. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, he will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when Willie jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as Willie is eating, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing his pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow him to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine Willie again to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta