Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dog just keeps coughing when laying down or gets excited :

Customer Question

Dog just keeps coughing when laying down or gets excited
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lucky and 9 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucky?
Customer: He gained wait the last few months
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

What breed/breeds is he?

Is the cough harsh or soft? Does he bring anything up?

Any appetite, thirst, or breathing changes?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hey is a 9 yr old mini pinscher hey has great appetite his cough is harsh and sounds like he is having and no hey don't bring anything up is been going on for about two days now
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pink
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

First, if Lucky can eat and keep food down, then we can rule out any obstruction in the throat and nausea right off the bat. Otherwise, we'd need still be wary of a possible throat irritation (ie eating grass, hard kibble, eating bits of a chew, etc) as well as bacterial upper airway infections (ie kennel cough), parainfluenza and bacterial tracheitis. As well, but hopefully less likely with his sudden onset, we can see coughing with lung disease, heart troubles, and associated with some respiratory parasites (ie lungworm, heartworm).

Therefore, with all of this in mind, we do need to monitor him closely. Since his signs are sudden in onset and since he is can keep food/water down, you can try him on a mild cough suppressant like glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing to the irritated and tickly throat. Typically we will give a 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed. Alternatively, you can try Robitussin DM with him. I would just say to make sure to use this preparation and avoid any similar syrups that may contain other medications like Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine (since these can be toxic). If it also contains Guaifenesin that is okay. Dose-wise, we tend to give this as 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of the dog's body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, these can reduce any possible irritation driving his to cough. Furthermore, if he has a throat irritation, then soaking his kibble or offering soft foods may also help reduce his signs.

Overall, if his signs are sudden in appearance then the a bit of throat irritation or our infectious causes would be most likely for Lucky. Therefore, you can soothe his throat with the above if his signs are mild. That said, if he doesn't settle within a day or so, then it'd be advisable to have him checked by his vet. They can confirm if a bacterial or viral infection is suspect and can also listen to his lungs and heart to make sure these are not playing a role in his cough. Depending on their findings, they can address infectious cases with antibiotics +/- dog safe anti-inflammatories to help settle this for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well we can rule out viral because he has be taking amoxicillin for the last week because other dog was sick so vet told us to give to him just in case he does like to eat grass
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How would he of got kennel cough
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

Actually, viruses are not sensitive to antibiotics. So, it would be a concern. It is bacterial agents that would be less likely, though ones like Boredetella aren't always sensitive to Amoxicillin. So, Amoxicillin resistant bacteria that are airborne and survive for months in the environment (so all it takes is a visit to somewhere another dog has been or another dog in the neighborhood having this) would still be a concern too. That all said, if he eats grass that very much can present this way. So, we'd want to try soothing his throat but also can use non-medicated saline drops (ie Little Noses) to try to flush anything caught in the nose.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B.