Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a 5 pound male, 4 year old toy chihuahua and s head

Customer Question

I have a 5 pound male, 4 year old toy chihuahua and his head feels warmer than normal. My husband has gone to buy a rectal thermometer to check his temperature and I wanted to know what normal would be for him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Harry Truman, named after the President who was also short and feisty!
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about After?
Customer: He has had trouble with allergies in his ears. I've cleaned them and used his Otocort drops and given him a quarter teaspoon of Children's Benadryl that my vet recommended I use the last time he was shaking his head and ears.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. The only accurate way for you to assess a dog's temperature would be by very gently using a well lubricated clinical thermometer rectally. The normal temperature for a dog varied between 100.8 and 102.8 F by the way.

2. Please feel free to contact me again { On this page } if you have any concerns after you take Harry Truman's temperature.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Harry truman is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his suspect high temperature ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?