Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

44lb beagle took a dose of comfort is meant 60- 120 lb dog :

Customer Question

44lb beagle took a dose of comfort is meant for a 60- 120 lb dog
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the beagle?
Customer: I have a 13 year old Beagle that weighs 44 lbs. He took a dose of comfortis meant for a dog weighing 60-120lbs.
JA: Where does the beagle seem to hurt?
Customer: He just took it. He isn't hurting yet.
JA: What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Barney
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Barney?
Customer: He takes a daily dose of 1 tablet of prednisone
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think.

1. Good news! : Barney should be just fine, this drug has a very high margin of safety in the dog. The only symptom { If anything at all } which you might perhaps see with a minor overdose like this is a mild transient episode of vomiting. There have been studies done where much higher amounts were given with the only reaction being vomiting.

More information on the studies via this link : LINK

2. There are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation, just keep an eye on him, however I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Barney's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further

But basically he should be just fine ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Barney is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Comfortis dose ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?