Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog is approx 13yrs old w chronic renal failure. I take

Customer Question

My dog is approx 13yrs old w chronic renal failure. I take her to vet every week for hydration fluids. My question is..she has lost a lot of weight but continues to eat normally. Could she b starving? Also.. What is the "hunch"look?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Appro?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she has been a loyal living dog. I am considering putting her down Tuesday and my vet knows this. My problem is.. Could she be in any sort of pain ? She has has 2 seizures in 3 weeks.
JA: Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 12 months ago.

Hello, I am sorry to hear about Petra having kidney disease. My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help.

If she is eating she is not starving, but she may have muscle wasting and be losing weight because of her kidney disease. The hunched look could be from losing muscle on her back and body, making her spine more prominent, or it could be she is hunched from pain in her back.

Seizures are not usually caused by kidney disease. She may have another problem such as liver disease, low blood sugar, a brain tumor.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 12 months ago.

I usually judge quality of life and suffering by the appetite. If she is eating, she still has some quality of life. However, she still could have pain and still eat.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 12 months ago.

Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I read that the brain can be affected by toxins in the blood. Is this true?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
How will I know if she has pain? She is not moaning or whimpering.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 12 months ago.

Yes, toxins in the blood can cause seizures. That is why I mentioned liver disease. The liver removes toxins from the blood, and if it is not working things like ammonia can build up in the blood and affect the brain. Usually dogs with pain will limp, not eat, hide, dislike being jostled or touched suddenly, are reluctant to go up or down stairs. Moaning and whimpering are often not done by painful dogs.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The kidneys remove toxins in the blood. Dogs w renal kidney failure can have toxins in blood and go to brain. No liver disease! I am not satisfied w this service and expect a full refund. I already reported to PayPal. This is a scam
Expert:  Rebecca replied 12 months ago.

The kidneys do remove things from the blood, such as normal waste products, but the liver is what detoxifies things. The things that build up in the body with kidney disease are things like urea, and creatinine, and these usually do not cause seizures.

I have treated hundreds of dogs with kidney diseases that did not have seizures. If there are seizures, I would be looking for things such as low blood sugar, liver disease, brain tumor, hypothyroidism, and neurologic disease.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 12 months ago.

If you want a refund, please contact the website customer service on the drop down menu and they will be happy to help you. I can't give you a fund. I assure you I am a veterinarian with 30 years experience, and that I am not a scam.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Not you.. This site is. Have a good weekend