PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

He hasn't ate since yesterday and does not want to go out

Customer Question

He hasn't ate since yesterday and does not want to go out and walk I noticed he was very lethargy yesterday when I took him out he was not his usually energetic self
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Digest what? He just turned a year old and his name is ***** ***** he is a full blooded Siberian husky
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Casper?
Customer: He has had all his age appropriate shots
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Are you seeing any vomiting or diarrhea yet?
2) Any change in food? new treats? human food?
3) Any exposure to ill dogs recently?
4) How many vaccines have been administered by your vet and at what ages?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Some diarrhea no changes in food no exposure to I'll dogs and I don't have his medical record with me but he's had every shot needed since he was 6 weeks old including rabies just couple weeks ago

Thank you for the additional information.

Sometimes we can see that dogs do have spontaneous GI upsets, somewhat like we could expect from a human. Sometimes they find something interesting to eat in their environment which can cause a GI upset. It won't hurt to treat this is though it's a GI upset until proven otherwise. Below are some directions to help. I have included information for you on nausea/vomiting, as well, because we want to prevent this from happening. Vomiting often accompanies diarrhea, so pepcid should lower the risk so long as it's given regularly.

There are a few things that can be done at home to help make a pet with a stomach upset feel better. The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. This should help to improve the stool and prevent nausea/vomiting in the near future.

Once the stool normalizes, you can then perform a slow switch back over to the regular food. If at any point you see persistent vomiting, bloody vomit or diarrhea, intestinal cramping, rectal tissue protruding, etc. you'll need to have him seen promptly for medical care.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My husband is actually on his way to get a thermometer to check and make sure he doesn't have a fever

Good thinking. We'd like to see a temperature below 102.5. Anything majorly above this indicates room for concern. Most dogs will have a normal temperature of 100.5-102.5.

Keep me posted if you need further assistance.