Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He ate a 10mg Focalin pull : . He is a 1.5 year old

Customer Question

He ate a 10mg Focalin pull
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jack. He is a 1.5 year old Havanese. 14 lbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jack?
Customer: Nope. He is healthy otherwise. He is acting normal. The Ingestion occurred about 10min ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Before I discuss this intoxication further I want you to induce emesis by dosing Jack with 15 mL (one measuring tablespoon) of 3% hydrogen peroxide by means of a small poultry baster placed between his cheek teeth and cheek. He should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Great. Thank you

The dose of this type of amphetamine required to cause clinical signs of toxicity is quite variable but might arise at just 0.025 mg/lb and seizures can arise at 0.15-0.25 mg/lb. Jack ingested 0.7 mg/lb. Symptoms involve central nervous system overstimulation and excessive sympathomimetic effects such as agitation, vocalization, hyperactivity, hypertension, head bobbing, hyperthermia, tachycardia, tremors, and seizures. Treatment is primarily symptomatic and supportive. Emesis is not often recommended due to the rapid onset of clinical signs, but should be considered with very recent ingestions (within 30 minutes, up to 2 hours with extended release products). Keep me posted, please.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will do. Should we encourage feeding after emesis?

In general, because the stomach lining is irritated by the peroxide, it's best to wait on feeding for at least 6 hours. That's a dangerous dose for Jack. If you can't get him to vomit, he should be attended to by a vet who will initiate decontamination procedures.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. Thank you

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He is doing just fine. We gave him the hydrogen peroxide, he threw up and has been doing fine. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Good to hear. Thank you for taking the time to let me know.