Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

He got a lesion very suddenly on s leg where he occurred

Customer Question

Hi he got a lesion very suddenly on his leg where he occurred hair loss instantly then from that sore hard under skin like blind pimples that eventually come to surface and ooze like a blister .he also as a reaction developed a hot spot on his head which is now cleared .he has had a biopsy which showed nothing other than a follicle explosion .he has been on antibiotics now for over a month with metacam .the sore on his leg seems to be spreading .it doesn't seem itchy but I think sore to touch ...please help !!:- Marianne .do not know what is left to do ...marianne(
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Thank you..he is eating fine and seems happy other than that .I cook pasta every day for him with beef mince and spinach
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This appears to be a form of a staph infection that occurs since the staph bacteria are normal flora on your guys skin and irritation or immune suppression will allow these bacteria to over grow. It is good that he is on antibiotics but he should also be on a topical treatment such as Gentocin Spray or Betadine which will dry out this area affected so teh bacteria cannot grow. These are very common in summer because of the warmth and moisture that can cause these bacteria to over grow and cause pustules. Along with the antibiotic which should be Cephalexin or another specific for staph, treat the areas with Betadine applied topically every 8 hrs which can be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter. It may also help to give your guy benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs in case this is related to an allergic reaction.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 months ago.
Hi Marianne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta