Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I'm seeing little reddish marks on my sheets. I've wiped her

Customer Question

hi -- I'm seeing little reddish brown marks on my sheets. I've wiped her paws, her bottom and her mouth and see nothing but she's definitely leaving something on my sheets. I'm unemployed and need to avoid vet bill if possible but I don't want her to be in pain.
JA: I can help you talk to the doctor. Thanks for coming to JustAnswer. How can we help?
Customer: hi -- I'm seeing little reddish brown marks on my sheets. I've wiped her paws, her bottom and her mouth and see nothing but she's definitely leaving something on my sheets. I'm unemployed and need to avoid vet bill if possible but I don't want her to be in pain.
JA: I can help you talk to the doctor. Thanks for coming to JustAnswer. How can we help?
Customer: Hello?
JA: Hi. What do you want help with?
Customer: hi -- I'm seeing little reddish brown marks on my sheets. I've wiped her paws, her bottom and her mouth and see nothing but she's definitely leaving something on my sheets. I'm unemployed and need to avoid vet bill if possible but I don't want her to be in pain.
JA: I can help you talk to the doctor. Thanks for coming to JustAnswer. How can we help?
Customer: hi -- I'm seeing little reddish brown marks on my sheets. I've wiped her paws, her bottom and her mouth and see nothing but she's definitely leaving something on my sheets. I'm unemployed and need to avoid vet bill if possible but I don't want her to be in pain.
JA: I can help you talk to the doctor. Thanks for coming to JustAnswer. How can we help?
Customer: I guess this is not real :(
JA: OK. The doctor will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the doctor can help you best.
Customer: hi -- I'm seeing little reddish brown marks on my sheets. I've wiped her paws, her bottom and her mouth and see nothing but she's definitely leaving something on my sheets. I'm unemployed and need to avoid vet bill if possible but I don't want her to be in pain.
JA: I can help you talk to the doctor. Thanks for coming to JustAnswer. How can we help?
Customer: hello?
JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: really?
JA: OK. The doctor will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the doctor can help you best.
Customer: what else do you need?
JA: Is there anything else the doctor should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Those little reddish brown marks are usually smeared or moistened flea feces. The feces of the flea is composed mainly of blood. If you comb her well and collect a black pepper-like material and then wet it and it turns to blood, you'll know that it's the same feces on your sheets. Bathe her as well and see if the water turns rust/blood colored.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She's freshly bathed -- nothing more than dirt in the water. and she is on a flea preventative.

Thank you. Is she spayed?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I'm at a loss to tell you what those marks represent and so I'll opt out which will give another expert the opportunity to enter this conversation.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 6 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about your dog and the spots on your sheets.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In order to help me help you better, I'll need a little more information. To start with, please tell me:

• What kind of dog is she and how old?
  • What kind of flea preventative are you using? How often?
  • Do you have any other pets in the house?
  • Are you able to upload a photo of the spots on your sheets along with something to give a sense of scale?
  • Is she showing any signs of pain like decreased activity, decreased appetite, and/or decreased mobility?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you.