Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My standard poodle (45lbs) chewed an ant bait house

Customer Question

my standard poodle (45lbs) chewed an ant bait house containing indoxcarb .o5% about 1 hr ago. Showing no symptoms yet. What should I watch for or do? Her name is Jazzi
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. How old is Jabez?
Customer: Jazzi is 8yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jabez?
Customer: No. She is very active & likes to play outside & she's still acting normal
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to hear what happened with Jazzi. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Most ant bait traps are not toxic to dogs; there is not enough of the indoxcarb to make an animal as big as a dog sick. There is more concern about the plastic house causing intestinal blockage if it was eaten whole or in large pieces than from the actual bait.

If she is eating, and not vomiting, she should be OK.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

Let me know if this is helpful and how she is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

How is she doing? I hope you were able to see what I wrote.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

How is your poodle doing? Was my answer helpful?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?