Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My Maltese fell off the couch she cried out and limped off

Customer Question

My Maltese fell off the couch she cried out and limped off she'll put it down but put it back up. Could this be a break and should we take her in. She doesn't cry out when touch it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear what happened to Sky. How long ago did she fall?

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If her leg were broken, she would probably not put any weight on it, and it would be swelling. If she only broke a toe, you might not see swelling and she might put a little weight on it. If she bruised something or sprained something she would limp as you describe.

If you want to know for sure what she did and if is it serious, I would have her checked by her veterinarian today or tomorrow. How much does she weigh? Until you can get her checked, you can try giving baby aspirin, 1/2 if she weighs 5 to 8 pounds. Give aspirin with food and if she vomits do not repeat it.

Let me know what other questions I can answer and if this is helpful and how she is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote. How is she doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

How is Sky today?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sky. How is everything going?