Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Had a seizure last night, wont drink water and is very weak.

Customer Question

Had a seizure last night, wont drink water and is very weak. My vet said give her a day to rest. Gave her ice chips but she won't accept them. She is 15 and her blood work good but something is likely wrong in her head.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: SHeba.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sheba?
Customer: She is on some med for joint pains. She is unable to stand up.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Karina

So sorry to learn of Sheba's problems, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. In this age group where a seizure has occurred the underlying cause is often a primary neurological condition of some kind such as a brain tumour or stroke. With these sorts of conditions it could well be that the blood work would be normal ...

2. In a dog of 15 years of age this of course is a very serious situation, if fits do recur there are anticonvulsive drugs which your vet can prescribe and these are often effective in stopping fits but they do not tackle the underlying disease. Other than that all you can do is to give Sheba a high level of supportive care over the next few days either at home or at the vet's until you see how things are going to go ...

Not good news I am afraid, but I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Sheba's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Karina,

I am just checking back in to see how Sheba is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her seizure ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?