Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.

She been coughing i took her to the vet they do an xray they

Customer Question

She been coughing for awhile i took her to the vet they do an xray they say she as conjested heart failer but i need to pay $185 to do blood work to see what meds to give her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jessie she is 14 years old i have from she was a few weeks i though the xray would tell them what meds to give her its getting worst can you help me
JA: I'm 40 . Forty something.
Customer: Can you sujest something for jessie i dont have 185 right now or may be somewhere that can help her
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jessie?
Customer: She is parcial blind and deaf she as glacoma
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm so sorry that Jessie has been diagnosed with a heart condition and that your financial situation is what it is.

While I don't like to second guess fellow professionals, I should mention that it's very difficult to diagnose congestive heart failure based on an x-ray alone. Typically we would need an ultrasound to adequately evaluate the heart and to make this determination.

But, regardless, the drugs which are commonly prescribed for this problem can affect the kidney which is why blood work is usually done prior to starting medication....something which I assume your vet told you.

Unfortunately, the medications we use are prescription only so if your vet is insisting on bloodwork first, then this may not be something you may be able to do much about.

However, I can suggest an over the counter cough suppressant such as Dextromethrophan which may help with her coughing. This is a drug that I'll often use in my patients with heart issues and who are taking cardiac drugs. There should be no harm, in other words, for her to take this drug even if she does have congestive heart failure....or even if she doesn't.
The dose would be 0.25 to 1 mg/lb 2-3 times a day. You just want to double check labels and ensure that the formulations only contain this ingredient although inclusion of Guaifensin is fine.

If Jessie isn't coughing as much, then it may help to improve her quality of life which, after all, is what's important.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The only time jessie is not coughing is when fall asleep i will go buy the cough meds now
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

I would imagine she's fairly uncomfortable if she's coughing that much, poor girl:(

I hope this medication will be strong enough to provide her some relief. Please keep me posted about her if you have a chance; I'd very much like to know how she does. Even after you've rated (if you do, of course,) we can continue to discuss this issue at no additional charge to you.

Kind regards, Deb

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can i get this to buy at the walgreens
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

Yes, you should be able to purchase this product at any pharmacy which sells human cough medication. Deb