Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

The left side of my dogs lip is swollen and hard but its not

Customer Question

the left side of my dogs lip is swollen and hard but its not hurting him he eats well and drinks water regular last night i looked at it and it was like a pimple and it was leaking out blood like if you pop a pimple today its still hard but not bothering him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is Lip?
Customer: 1 1/2 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lip?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like you may be seeing a histiocytoma. This is a common mass that we see in young dogs < 3 years of age. They can pop up anywhere, but they tend to be more common on the head/ neck area. They will usually go away on their own over 1-2 months without any treatment.

To know for sure, you'd need to do a needle aspirate or remove/ biopsy the lump. Most of the time in young dogs we just ignore it unless it's getting larger or causing issues.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.