Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

She is drinking lots and gallops it down really fast, weeing

Customer Question

She is drinking lots and gallops it down really fast, weeing lots having accidents in the house and losing weight
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Also going through the bin her name is ***** ***** will be7 in September
JA: How old is Candy?
Customer: 7 in September
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Candy?
Customer: She was at the vets two months ago for loss of furniture in clumps, they said it was anial glands and they squeezed them they gave her a course of tablets to stop the fur loss and that worked
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Accidents, and excessive drinking can be a sign of bladder stones, diabetes, or a urinary tract infection.

The only way to determine stones or a UTI is to have a urine sample tested and since you were just at the vet you may be able to catch the first of the morning sample and drop it off for testing, that would be the easiest and least costly thing to do. IF there is a UTI then antibiotics will be needed and if there are stones then antibiotcs, and a change in diet will be needed. If you need to get antibiotics then ask for a prescription and take that prescription to Waldgreens or WalMart to be filled as this too will save you money.

Diabetes would also require testing as it is a disease of the pancreas. Insulin shots may be needed for this . You can read more on this here. http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/diabetes-mellitus-in-dogs/744