Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My dog is 12 ,a rescue dog ,we have her since 4 months .She

Customer Question

My dog is 12 ,a rescue dog ,we have her since 4 months .She chases her tail and starts barking,she seems to be like in a trance as nothing can distract her apart going up to her and calm her down.Lately she has been doing this on the beach and getting into the water not being aware of the waves also meeting other dogs or people and doing the same thing
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

There are many reasons for doing this but if this is something that came on suddenly then be quick to act as it can represent a possible health issue such as seizure activity. Because you mention that you cannot really bring her out of it and because of her age this would be my first concern.

Other causes would be boredom , nervousness, an injury to the tail you can’t see, parasites, or bugs/mites.fleas

Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

If it is due to boredom or behavior then you want to redirect the behavior to something more rewarding such as a treat dispensing toy.

But I would definitely suggest that you take a video of it, including how you have to comfort her to get her out of it and show this to your vet.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.
Hi Rosmarie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Indi. How is everything going?

Sally G.