Ana Bascunan
Ana Bascunan,
Experience:  Small Animal Surgery Resident at University of Florida
94543743

Thank you. my 11 year old lab, who is diabetic, had a severe

Customer Question

thank you. my 11 year old lab, who is diabetic, had a severe nosebleed we think about a week ago. Lots of blood in her water bowl and blood all over the house. She has seen the vet, and it wasn't a snake bite or anything like that. Yesterday one of her eyes became severely infected and she was put on antibiotics. Now she has a large lump on her back leg she is licking. Could all of these be related?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Is there a charge for his service?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Veterinarian. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: How much is due when I get a reply from the vet?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ana Bascunan replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I am happy to try and answer your questions this evening. To summarize, your dog had a severe nosebleed about a week ago, went to the vet and did not require further treatment for that issue. Yesterday she developed an eye infection for which you are treating her, and now today she has a large lump that is irritating to her on her back leg? Please let me know if I misunderstood anything.

I realize I missed the diabetes in my summary (sorry!). I hope I'm not missing anything else. To answer your question, I have a hard time connecting the four issues you described (the diabetes, nose bleed, eye infection, and the mass) as one underlying disease. I am concerned, however, by the frequency of new illness/conditions popping up in what I assume to be a relatively healthy, although admittedly older, labrador.

My recommendation for you is to have a discussion with your family and your veterinarian about your goals for your dog, both short and long term. In the short term, you obviously want her to be comfortable and not be bleeding all over the house (reasonable goals for any pet owner). In the long term, if you want her to be as healthy as possible for as long as possible, you may want to consider working these issues up with additional diagnostics and treatment if indicated. By that I mean additional blood testing and imaging (possibly even a CT scan) to evaluate the cause of the nose bleed. Evaluation and sampling of the lump that recently appeared and is bothering her. Careful monitoring and continued treatment of her eye as indicated.

If, on the other hand, you and your family feel that your dog is getting older and is more frequently developing illnesses requiring treatment (frequent vet visits, medicine administration, etc), and you wish to discuss her overall quality of life and when to make the difficult decision to let her go, that may be valid too.

The path you choose will depend on where you and your family are at emotionally, physically, and financially with your dog. If you wish pursue testing, I think you should make an appointment for tomorrow morning with your vet as your dog sounds like she is bothered by the new lump, and rechecking the eye infection regularly is also advised.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any additional questions or would like clarification, please let me know!

Do you have any further questions? If not, I wish you and your dog the best!