PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

She looks sad. She was walking around. Now she is laying

Customer Question

She looks sad. She was walking around. Now she is laying down and her body feels very tight.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Faith and 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Faith?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) What feels tight? Her abdomen? Muscles?
2) Are you seeing any vomiting or diarrhea?
3) Has she had any recent food changes? New treats? Human food?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I guess it is her muscles. Everywhere I touch along her back and body feels tight. No vomiting or diarrhea. No changes in food either
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She just got up and walked around the room. Her head is low and she just looks lost.

What breed of dog is she?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
A Lhasa mix. I am not totally sure. I do know that when I just rubbed her around her back hips, it felt like she tightened her muscles and trembled a bit.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She is about 20-25 pounds

It sounds like she has some back pain going on, which is fairly common in smaller breed dogs (especially those allowed to jump onto and off of furniture). The easiest thing for her will be to have an exam from your vet, x-rays of her spine if needed, and to get started on canine-safe NSAIDs with the addition of pain medication, if indicated. A few weeks of committed cage rest is often needed and it's wise to upgrade to having some stairs by the bed, couch and other surfaces that she likes to get onto and off of.

There's more info available at these two links:

In a pinch, we can give aspirin to dogs if they are entirely healthy with no known medical problems. I would only do this if you cannot have her seen soon. Dosages here:

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My son just told me that she did eat some of the kittens food earlier. Is that bad?