Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Super Anxiety - She is a dog and the owners have apparently

Customer Question

Super Anxiety - She is a foster dog and the owners have apparently abandoned her with me. We are camping and she won't calm down; barks at everything (She was a city dog). I want to socialize her to new things, but she is stubborn
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Super Anxiety - She is a foster dog and the owners have apparently abandoned her with me. We are camping and she won't calm down; barks at everything (She was a city dog). I want to socialize her to new things, but she is stubborn
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: ummm Anxiety, she's not hurt
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Whylie - she is a german shepherd ~ 3 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Wylie?
Customer: Again, she was abandoned (see above)
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

When was the dog adopted?

What have you tried so far?

How long will you be camping?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She was a foster and her humans never came back for her. She's been with me for 10 months. I've tried distractions, playing, etc but she won't stop barking, and crying. Camping a week.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.

This will be tough as she is out of her element and it is too soon to put her in such a situation full thrust.

If you have anyway to get to a drug store I would suggest you get some melatonin found in the vitamin aisle as we use this for anxiety.

Take one of your tee shirts and put that on her and make it snug as it may act as an anxiety wrap that is used for dogs.

When she act nervous do not coddle her but work her in commands and reward that behavior as long as she is listening so she concentrates on that.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK, I'll try that! Thank you.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.

If you have access to internet via a phone try this video music as well

3 hours of dog calming music on youtube to try out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=89&v=joe-ePqCqWc

Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.