Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog has a red rash on spots of s body : Jordan and he is

Customer Question

My dog has a red rash on spots of his body
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jordan and he is about 2 1/2 it doesn't seem to both him that much but we just got back fm Vegas and my mother n law was watching him so I'm thinkn she was feeding him we have him on a strict diet with no grain
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jordan?
Customer: No we got back last night and noticed it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Where specifically is in on his body?

Do the areas have any pustules, pimples, scaling or crusting?

Is he rubbing, licking, scratching, or itching the areas at all?

Did she give anything besides the diet?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know what she gave him it is mostly under his arms and legs but sum spots on his body
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We put a come on him so he's not messin with it to much
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sum crusting in his ear and eyes
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now the reason for my questions is because it sounds like we have an allergic dermatitis secondary to something she gave or he found with her. Though if there is crusting, there is a risk of secondary bacterial infection here.

With this in mind, you were right to put the cone on and limit his ability to introduce further infection to the irritated lesions. Further to this, we'd want to bathe these areas with a dog safe antiseptic like dilute chlorohexidine or salt water. Afterwards,make sure to pat the area dry and you can also apply an OTC antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin) twice daily to counter the infection. And to reduce his irritation, you can alternate this with OTC hydrocortisone cream as well. And for any crusting by the eyes, you can bathe these with OTC eye safe saline (ie first aid eyewash, plain contact lens solution) as needed.

Finally, since this sound allergy based, you can also try to reduce the irritation with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, these signs do sound allergy based, so we'd want to use the above to try and counter this for Jordan. If he settles, we are happy. Though if these linger or he is very itchy, we'd want to get your local vet involved as he may need a short course of steroids and antibiotics to settle this for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We will try it thanks I've read to bath him in apple cider vinegar have u heard anything about that
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again

That is an option you can use if the rash is very diffuse, though those I noted above are just as effective and tend to smell less pungent.

Best wishes,

Dr. B

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?