Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

Constant scratching no sorers JA: I'm sorry to hear that.

Customer Question

constant scratching no sorers
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jett 2 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jett?
Customer: very well taken care of inside and outside dog
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

If there is a flea problem then it is best and most effective to get flea drops (frontline plus, K9 anvantage etc.) or the seresto flea collar.

Scratching absent the presence of fleas is usually due to airborne allergies. These can be seasonal or year round depending on what the dog is allergic to. Dogs with this allergy usually also begin licking their feet.

Your vet would be best to make the determination of an allergy or other skin problem such as mites.

IF it is due to an allergy there is a new medication out that can stop the scratching within days, but it is only available through your vet office. It is called Apoquel.

With airborne allergies if much is coming from the outside air as apposed to dust or dust mites in the home, then you can help by wiping down the dogs fur and paws after you let her outside as this can take some of the pollen off the coat so she is not breathing it in while inside. For inside allergies such as dust, then a room air purifier in the room where she most spends her time can make a difference. So can a let dry carpet spay to keep dust from rising from a carpet each time the dog or human moves in the room

Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 months ago.
Hi Rick,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.