Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

She's very restless tonight. She's been up all night and

Customer Question

She's very restless tonight. She's been up all night and can't sleep. I got her to eat a little piece of chicken and drink a little bit, but she's much less interested in food tonight than normal. I'm not sure if her heart rate is elevated or not. She seems to be overstimulated for some reason
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ruthie. I think she's five this year. She's a Cocker, Pekingese, Chihuahua mix
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pekingese?
Customer: Her name is Ruthie
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your girl Ruthie. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Ruthie and her symptoms are definitely a concern. The combination of being restless/overstimulated with potentially an elevated heart rate, does make me worry about a potential toxicity here. Hopefully there isn't anything your girl could have gotten in to such as chocolate or other bits and pieces around your home. Because there are quite a few possible causes for these symptoms, you are going to need to keep a close eye on her for a few more hours tonight. For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet. Hopefully these symptoms settle in the next hour or so, but if she seems overstimulated or distressed now, then you are best to play it safe and have her checked over by your local ER Vet. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.