Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My aus shepherd is making a growling noise all the time ..

Customer Question

My aus shepherd is making a growling noise all the time .. like she is agitated.. this even happens at 3 am
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Not sure .. she is 15 years old and does have arthritis is this noise do to that?
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Hips
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: no
JA: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the dog behaving differently?
Customer: just making these noises and having trouble getting up from a laying down position . once she is up she does walk but much slower than normal.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: sadie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sadie?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. It is entirely likely that these noises are due to her arthritis. It is possible that it could be due to discomfort related elsewhere, including some metabolic problem (i.e.; liver, kidney, pancreas, etc); but she doesn't seem to be showing other signs to suspect that at this point. Sometimes it can even be due to some cognitive dysfunction (like dementia in humans). The best way to find out if this is related to her arthritis is to have your vet run some routine blood work on her to just check her internal organ functions and put her on an anti-inflammatory pain medication if it is all normal. That should help with her arthritis and hopefully eliminate this noise if it is related. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.