Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My 7 yr old cockapoo has had a greenish discharge in one eye

Customer Question

My 7 yr old cockapoo has had a greenish discharge in one eye only for over 2 weeks.The vet has given me 2 kinds of anti-biotic drops,one with steroids that made it worse.The eye is still not cleared up,still a geenish discharge. Will just an allergy eye drop be better. He has never had this problem before.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Oliver
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oliver?
Customer: She did a full blood panel for a teeth cleaning just before the eye infection.Everything came back normal except for a pretty low Glucose count(63). And she knows he did have an episode in March of falling over and not able to move or walk for about a minute.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 10 months ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.I am so sorry to hear Oliver is experiencing this. The drop with a steroid would have been for an allergy (and more effective than anything over-the-counter); so I do not think an "allergy drop" would be helpful.Did your veterinarian do some testing on the eye which should have included staining to look for corneal ulcerations, a tear test (to ensure he is producing adequate tears) and intraocular pressure test (tonometry)?If not, then further testing is now indicated. We need to ensure he does not have an ulcer (sometimes those take a while...weeks..to resolve) and that he does not have dry eye (keratoconjunctivitis sicca) and that this is not a intraocular problem (uveitis or glaucoma). So, unfortunately, the best next step is for him to be seen today to get some of this testing performed. If your vet cannot do this testing or is reluctant, then this is a red flag to indicate a second opinion may be a good idea. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.