Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

2 German Shepherds--male and female--and they've started

Customer Question

2 German Shepherds--male and female--and they've started stinking to high heaven. Like a sour putrid odor. One has had some ear issues and has been to the vet and we're treating it, but I'm not sure if maybe it's gotten worse? I'm inclined to think it's something else since now both dogs stink. Skin allergy? Yeast? Bacterial infection? Anal glands? I should probably just take them in.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: My husband recently changed their food--same brand but a weight management formula because the female needs to slim down a bit. So maybe a food allergy that's causing skin issues?
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Diesel, male, 9 years; Manta, female, 7 years
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your dogs! Bad odor in dogs can be from several places. The oral cavity is one possibility (dental disease) but usually and owner can tell if the odor is coming specifically from the mouth. If it is not, then the next likely culprit is an infection of the skin or ears. Places that are particularly prone are the feet and the axillary (armpit) and inguinal (groin) areas. Unfortunately, without examining your dogs it is very hard to say if this is the issue and how bad it is. In milder cases, we may be able to treat topically with a medicated shampoo such as this one: http://www.amazon.com/Dechra-Mal-Antibacterial-Antifungal-Shampoo/dp/B00KN5CGH2, which treats both bacteria and yeast. The shampoo can be annoying because it does require shampooing your dog (and you must leave the shampoo on the dog for 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing it off to be effective) several times a week initially. The safest thing would be to have your vet check them out. If they find a skin infection, they can decide if oral medications or topical is more appropriate (they can also check to see if it is bacteria, yeast, or both growing).Please let me know if you have any additional questions!!!