Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He's been dx with Kennel cough....... 8 month old Pug......

Customer Question

He's been dx with Kennel cough....... 8 month old Pug...... Did not cough all day but is really struggling now!!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Pi
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pi?
Customer: Until he got this he was very healthy...... Intact male was being handled for me and is just two pts away from being a champion....... The noise doesn't sound like a cough
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has he had these signs? What treatments have been tried?What does it sound like? A snort, sneeze, or reverse sneeze (example)?Any nasal discharge?Are his gums pink or pale/white?Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He started two days ago with the coughing. Yesterday started clavamo
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Clavamox and something for the cough
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,What is the something for his cough (so I can assess its use here and determine if we have any other options to help as well)?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He is struggling to draw his in his breath
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's a quarter of a tablet he gets 4 times a day
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you again, Now if he only started the Clavamox yesterday, then we do need to give it time to reach a therapeutic level and start clearing out any lurking infection. This can take a few days to do so. Of course, if he is in respiratory distress this raises concerns of something else amiss (ie airway inflammation or blockage) or that this is severely inflaming the upper airway itself.Therefore, if he is breathing >30 breaths per minute at rest and/or his gums are paler then usual; we'd want him seen urgently. He may need to be put onto oxygen to keep him stable until the antibiotics take effect and/or his local vet makes sure there is nothing else contributing to these signs.Otherwise, if he is struggling but not to the level I have noted above, you can try to soothe his throat and get him more settled. To do so, you can try giving a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Alternatively, you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here. As well, for severe cases with inflammation a dog safe anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam) or anti-coughing medication would be ideal; so hopefully this is the something he was he was given.Overall, antibiotics do take time to reduce these kinds of signs. And while I cannot comment on the other medication he was given without knowing what it is, I am a wee bit concerned if he is in respiratory distress here. So, check those parameters I asked about before and if they are abnormal as I described, then we'd need him seen urgently and checked for those other concerns. Otherwise, we can add the above to treatment to try to get him more comfortable.Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or viahttp://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193 Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
to you too, my dear.Best wishes,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )