Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

My Toy Breed ***** ***** Terrier, has slowed down

Customer Question

My Toy Breed ***** ***** Terrier, has slowed down tremendously the last few months. He will be 15 June 8th 2016. His anal glands swole up again this year. They did that last April too. His glands behind his ears are also swollen. He's not eating as much. He had blood in his stool Saturday night. I took him to the Vet. He said he thinks its Cancer. I've heard several illnesses cause the same symptoms. Please help me.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the terrier's name?
Customer: Snoopy.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Snoopy?
Customer: Other than his weight loss and he acts very tired. He was scratching at his stomach. The vet gave me Prednison and Amoxicillin. He's had that yesterday and today. His glands behind his ears are not as swollen. He also walked up the back step for the 1st time in 3 days today.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help Snoopy. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Blood in stool Saturday.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 5 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm so sorry to hear that your vet thinks that Snoopy has cancer. I will do my best to help and guide you through this difficult time. Has your vet run any blood tests or gotten samples from his lymph nodes for analysis?What was it that made your vet think that this is cancer? I'll start working on a reply while awaiting your answers to those questions.~Dr. Sara
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your patience. I'll start by addressing the weight loss and general feeling of tiredness - these are very vague, meaning that they can be caused by a wide variety of diseases ranging from simple things like intestinal parasites all the way up through the bad stuff like diabetes and cancer. The best way to start sorting all of that stuff out would be to run a full blood panel and possibly a urinalysis. Now sometimes we can get a diagnosis just from the physical exam findings - for instance by feeling a large tumor in the belly or seeing that multiple lymph nodes are swollen all over. These are more indicative of cancer when seen on a physical exam. Diarrhea (with or without blood) is also a very nonspecific sign that can be attributed to jut about any systemic (whole body) disease, so its presence isn't really helpful. In the case of a dog with many lymph nodes all being enlarged, we usually put lymphoma at the top of our list. This is a cancer of white blood cells that can cause all of the lymph nodes to be enlarged at the same time. It can also invade into the other organs of the body and cause the pet to be life threateningly ill. Lymphoma is typically pretty easy to diagnose by taking a fine needle aspirate from a lymph node and sending it out to the lab for analysis. I'm glad to hear that he seems to be rebounding now that he's on the medication - that is wonderful! Dogs with lymphoma usually have a great response to prednisone - many times their lymph nodes will even return to completely normal size. Unfortunately, if it's lymphoma, the response will be short lived - they relapse within a month to three months when treated with prednisone alone. I haven't received a reply yet from you, but I'm going to leave my thoughts here for you to look over whenever you wish.Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions please simply reply with your follow up questions. I would be happy to continue chatting. If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 4 months ago.
Hi Laura,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Snoopy. How is everything going?

Doc Sara