Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog has chronic renal disease and has been retching all

Customer Question

Hi my dog has chronic renal disease and has been retching all night, can i give him phernargan
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hi name is ***** ***** he is 11 years 6 months old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: His name is Zoro
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zorro?
Customer: We have been giving him IV fluids, his creatinine is 14 and BUN is 114
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Doctor, waiting for your reply , pls do let me know if you need any more information about zoro, just wanted to let you know he used to have seizures but for the last six years he hasn't had any
Thanks for the further information, that should be fine, just typing out your answer now ... Regards, *****
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We are currently giving him Ranatadine, twice a day, twelve hourly. Perinom inj twice a day, Ondem inj twice a day. IV fluids 500 ml per day
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just another thing Doctor, had paid the 5 dollars but another14 dollars was just charged to my card, could you pls tell me what that was for
Hello again I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. Phenergan (generically known as promethazine) is not commonly prescribed for dogs but there are references in the literature regarding it's use as an anti-emetic for dogs in which case it is dosed at a rate of 1 mg per kg of body weight per day either as a single or divided dose { twice a day } 2. Phenergan would be unlikely to make his renal problem worse or have an adverse effect on dogs prone to fits. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again, My role on the site is to concentrate on giving veterinary advice unfortunately I have no access to the billing or administration side of things. However I will be very glad to contact the site admin once we have concluded our dialogue and they will get in touch and resolve any billing issues you may have. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How should phenargan be given, can it be given IV
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, doctor are you there
Hello again, I had assumed you wanted to use phenargan tablets but it is also available as a rectal suppository. However it is available as an injectable, but this is even more rarely used in dogs, however in this case the preferred parenteral route of administration is by deep intramuscular injection. { Do not use it sub cut } Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.