Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

One of her nipples is enlarging and kinda of a bluish black

Customer Question

one of her nipples is enlarging and kinda of a bluish black area around it. also has a small lump near it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Daisy and 8 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisy?
Customer: she is a chihauhau (spelling)
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to Just Answer.
Can you upload a photo(s) of this nipple to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. My primary concern is mammary neoplasia (cancer) particularly if Daisy is intact (not neutered) or was spayed after 2 years of age.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Daisy is a rescue we got a little over a year ago. She wasn't neutered until then. We don't know too much else about her except she had a broken leg and ribs from being kicked and the bones never healed properly. She is a lover and a cuddler. So I guess I will just call a vet here in town. Thank you.
Such late neutering has predisposed her to mammary cancer which is an important concern when just one nipple/gland is affected. Yes, please have your vet take a look at this at your earliest convenience. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.