Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

He ate are a Rolaids. He is a 75 lb standard poodle. He has

Customer Question

He ate are a Rolaids. He is a 75 lb standard poodle. He has diarrhea now.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the standard poodle will be able to digest that. What is the standard poodle's name?
Customer: Trouble for obvious reasons.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the standard poodle?
Customer: He is 12 years old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again Good news! : This should not be too serious an incident for Trouble but I have worked out a fuller answer for you below ... 1. Rolaids contain mostly calcium so there is no real issue of toxicity as such to dogs even when they have eaten quite a few. It is possible that you may see a mild transient bout of gastro-enteritis { As you are seeing } but that's about it. The fact you have a larger breed dog is very much in your favour. 2. However you may be able to handle the diarrhoea on a home remedy basis in the following sort of way : I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINKSome owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days. 4. Of course if any odd or unexpected symptoms do develop then you should have Trouble checked over by an ER vet without delay { Unlikely } However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.rolaids dog justanswer nimmo
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Rolaids ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.